Washington State realizes how important it is that children receive the financial support that they need – and that often both parents should be responsible for contributing to that effort. However, one-fourth of those who have been ordered to pay child support in Washington don’t pay the full amount owed, while another one-fourth pay nothing at all. 

So What Could Happen If I Don't Pay Child Support?

  • Your wages, unemployment, or other income could be garnished.
  • A lien could be filed on your personal property.
  • Your personal property could be seized, such as your vehicle.
  • Your credit score could be damaged.
  • You may not be able to apply for or renew a passport.
  • You may not be able to receive your tax refund.
  • Your name could be placed on the Washington Division of Child Support Most Wanted list.
  • Your driver’s license could become suspended.
  • You could be held in contempt of court.

If you cannot pay child support due to a change in your income or other circumstance, it is important to inform the court immediately. 

Modify child support

Our legal library, blog and FAQ's are full of helpful information about child support laws and address different issues you may be experiencing. If you need legal assistance with a child support payment issue, you can also speak with a Seattle child custody attorney today by calling (425) 460-0550.

Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington