If your income changes significantly in the years after a child support order has been issued in Washington State, you can indeed petition the court to review your case and lower the amount that you need to pay. However, can only ask for a child support case review if your pay has changed significantly (more than 10%) and if it has been over a year since the last change in your order. You absolutely cannot simply stop paying child support if you lose your job – you must contact the Division of Child Support (DCS) of the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) and alert them to your situation.
Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington