It’s not the thought of angering your abuser that keeps you in a violent relationship—it’s not knowing where to go after you leave. Your children need food, clothing, and a ride to school—and once you walk out the door, you’re not sure how you’re going to provide them with everything they need if they don’t even have a place to sleep.

Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence in King County

Don’t let the fear of leaving home keep you and your family at risk of abuse! There are a number of organizations that help women leave violent living situations in King County, including the Domestic Abuse Women’s Network (DAWN), which provides a few different kinds of living quarters:

  • Emergency Confidential Shelter. If you are concerned that your ex will find you through common friends or your family, you can get confidential shelter for you and your children. These housing options can include medical care, food, clothing, and transportation to work. You may also get access to counseling for chemical dependency or mental illness.
  • Extended Stay. Once you no longer need emergency shelter, you may be able to transition your living situation into long-term housing. For example, DAWN provides up to one year of housing in furnished apartments for abuse survivors and their children. If you are accepted into the program, you may stay free for the first three months, pay only utilities for the next three months, and pay 30 percent of their income to stay for the rest of the year.
  • Hotel vouchers. Many state agencies provide vouchers for free or low-cost stays in hotels or motels across Washington. Call the number below to find out how you can get short-term housing for you and your children.

What Do I Need to Do Now?

The first thing you need to do is make a plan so that you can get out safely. For immediate help, call the Washington State Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-562-6025, then use our online contact form to find out how we can help you take legal action against your ex.

Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington
Post A Comment