As a Seattle high school senior, or the parent of a soon to be college student, you already know about the high price tag associated with higher education. You may have already started looking at schools and financial aid options. Before you go any further, we want to provide you with the answers to some of the commonly asked questions we hear about the college financial aid process from children of divorced parents.

The Answers You Need

Some common questions include:

  • Which parent should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid? The parent with primary custody of the child is responsible for filling out this important form upon which many financial aid decisions are made.
  • Are both parents required to help pay for college if they are able? Well, it depends. The federal government does not consider a non-custodial parent’s ability to pay, but many private colleges do.
  • Can all this be worked out at the time of a Washington State divorce?  Yes. The issue of college financial aid after divorce can be in a college support agreement that details what each parent will be responsible for paying.

This is often a complicated issue that is best worked out privately with the help of experienced lawyers.

Have More Questions?

You’re not alone. The time to get your questions answered is now, before your child gets into the college of his or her dreams and you are left wondering how to afford it. Please feel free to contact us to schedule a confidential consultation if you need help getting an ex-spouse to help support his or her child’s college education.

Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington
Post A Comment