Why are baby boomers susceptible to divorce, especially as they age? While divorce experts aren’t sure, they believe that a number of factors could be contributing to the phenomenon:
- Many couples stay together until their children are no longer living with them, which means that many baby boomers who have been holding off on divorce are now separating.
- Longer life spans and healthier senior years mean that larger numbers of older people have decades left to start a fresh chapter in their lives.
- Better educated and more independent women have more of an opportunity to start new lives without worrying about financial issues or support issues.
- More boomers believe that being divorced is a better option than living in an unhappy marriage – fewer people in younger generations agree.
- Baby boomers are more financially secure and can handle a divorce better than couples with little or no net worth.