You spent 18 years helping your child through every conflict and obstacle in his or her life – and helping your child grow into an independent adult. Now that your child has announced his or her divorce, it can be difficult to know how you should reach out and help as well as how much space you should give your child.

Before you take any actions, be sure to find out his or her needs. Everyone is different and the best way you can know what you should do is to ask. Your child may need a place to stay, someone to talk to regularly, a shoulder to cry on, or help with the kids. On the other hand, you child may ask for some distance and privacy.

Whatever you do, be sure to be supportive but neutral. This is not the time for you to voice your opinions on your child’s spouse or the time to engage in any type of family drama. This is also not the time to show your support through negative actions or words. Give love to your child, stay neutral but respective of his or her spouse, and spend time with your grandchildren. Try to reign in emotions and judgments – and remember that this is not your relationship.

Have more questions about divorce in Washington State? Contact Seattle family law attorney Molly Kenny today.

Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington