When finalizing divorce, engagement ring and wedding ring may end up with the wife. What she decides to do with the rings depends on the circumstances of the divorce, the cost of the ring and other factors. Engagement rings generally do not fall under the Washington State community property law.

What to Do with the Engagement Ring after Divorce

If the ring is very valuable, one could sell it. After an exceedingly painful divorce, you may not want to retain a piece of jewelry that reminds you of this traumatic episode. You may want to dispose of or sell the ring.

If you do decide to sell it, however, make sure that you know what the ring is worth. The ring is probably not worth the same price that your ex-spouse paid for it but is likely to give you a certain amount of cash.

Visit jewelers and pawnshops, and find out what the ring is worth before you sell it. Chances are that anything related to finances is probably stressing you out after a divorce. If you need the extra cash, then selling it may be the healthiest option for you at this time.

If You Don’t Sell the Ring after Divorce

You could also decide to retain the ring for your children. Your daughter, for instance, may love the prospect of getting a piece of jewelry that has meaning for both her parents.

If the ring is a family heirloom, however, your husband may request that you return the ring. In such cases, you can return the ring, but ensure that you get compensated for it in cash. Typically, it’s the wife who retains the wedding ring, and, therefore, you have every right to seek compensation if you are voluntarily returning the ring.

The important thing to remember is not to make emotional decisions during this period. If you can't decide what to do with the ring, simply place it in a drawer. Deal with all the stresses of the divorce before you decide what to do with the ring. Give yourself time to understand what you want to do, and then you can either return the ring, sell it off or hold on to it as you see fit.

For more advice on what to do with a divorce, read our divorce lawyer blog. If you're currently considering divorce, speak to divorce attorney Molly Kenny at 425-460-0550. 

Molly B. Kenny
Connect with me
Divorce and Child Custody Attorney Serving Bellevue and Seattle Washington
Join The Conversation
Mark Kandinov 04/23/2015 10:32 AM
Can't begin to tell you how many people come into our company (both guys and girls) selling either their wedding or engagement rings. It's always better to speak to an attorney to avoid the mess of liability or fraud.
Post A Reply
Post A Comment