Using Mediation To Decide Child Custody
• Child custody mediation is less expensive. If you and your spouse are both open-minded and willing to compromise, mediation is a significantly cheaper way to make child custody decisions.
• Child custody mediation can be faster. Going to court for child custody disputes isn’t just expensive, it also involves a lot of red tape and waiting. When parents work together, mediation can be a much simpler and faster process.
• Child custody mediation lets you make the decisions. When you go to court for child custody or child visitation, you put decisions about your children into a stranger’s hands – a stranger who might not fully understand the situation like you and your former partner do. Mediation allows the two parents – the two people who know your kids best – to decide together what is best for them.
• Child custody mediation can provide more unique solutions. Court decisions regarding child custody usually fit into just a few different ideas of family. In mediation, you can create your own unique parenting plan that works best for your own family’s needs.
• Child custody mediation builds a foundation for communication. Because both parents work together to find a solution for their child custody issues, studies have found that parents who choose mediation are more likely to stick to plans and to continue healthy communication with their ex-spouse after the decisions are made.
• Child custody mediation sets a tone of cooperation. While your romantic relationship may be over, your children require that you continue a parenting relationship with your partner even after a divorce or breakup. Mediation can help begin your new relationship as collaborating parents.
Are you considering mediation for your child custody dispute? Talk to a Seattle family law attorney today about your situation. Start by calling (425) 460-0550 or filling out our contact form for a free and confidential consultation.
Molly B. Kenny's Bellevue family law office is conveniently located on Lake Bellevue Drive, making it easily accessible to those in the greater Seattle area. Our divorce and child custody lawyers help men and women get the information, guidance, and compassionate representation they need.