Researchers have found that the happiest days of the year include Christmas Eve, New Year’s Day, and the first sunny and warm day of spring (usually in April). But what is the most depressing day of the year? After compiling data from several sources, experts say that the first Monday after the holidays ranks as the saddest of all. This year, so-called “Blue Monday” fell on January 6.
Blue Monday is the day that the most people complain about their jobs and lives on social media outlets like Twitter. It is also one of the most popular days of the year to file for divorce.
Why is Blue Monday filled with so much unhappiness and so many new divorces? Researchers believe that a number of factors are in play:
- The holidays are over and everyone is returning to everyday life.
- The stress of seeing family over the holidays—perhaps including in-laws—may remind some that they do not want to continue their marriage.
- Excessive eating and drinking during the holidays may leave many feeling tired and regretful.
- Bleak weather and a long winter ahead may result in depression.
- Many couples have large fights over the holidays—related to issues like stress, money, and decision-making.
- Some may already be failing at their New Year’s resolutions.
Generally, the holidays are a time when many couples give it one last go – but end up seeing the same issues in their relationship surface again and again. After the New Year, as families return to the daily grind, many finally resolve to file for divorce and start a new chapter in their lives.
Do you need the help of a Washington Divorce lawyer in the New Year? Contact the Law Offices of Molly B. Kenny today to learn more.